Becoming pregnant and delivering a baby is a miraculous event. You want to be prepared for it! Far too often we hear women wishing they’d received pelvic floor physio prior to giving birth so they could optimize pelvic floor strength and be coached on how to deliver. We want a mother’s risk of obstetric trauma to be as minimized as possible on the big day!
The ways we support and coach mothers-to-be could include the following:
- Pelvic floor muscle training (kegels)
- Learning how to relax the pelvic floor
- Increasing muscle strength and endurance (core and hips expecially)
- Providing education about various delivery positions, and which one may be best for you
We also recommend women to visit a pelvic floor physio after they deliver their baby to prevent the onset of pelvic floor dysfunction, especially those who’ve endured a traumatic birthing experience, such as:
- C-section operation
- Suction/forceps usage for delivery
- Excessively stressful birthing experience
- Prolonged pushing
If you feel you would benefit from pregnancy support, book an appointment today!